If you’ve ever tried watching a video on YouTube and found yourself not only struggling to hear it but also feeling like your speakers are broken, then you’re not alone. This can be annoying, especially when trying to watch videos with friends or family members.
Sometimes, you may find you have loosely connected your output device and once you securely plug it in, you will be good to go.
Most people prefer playing Youtube videos on their Chrome browsers because there is more freedom to tweak settings such as block ads and add other useful extensions.
Others prefer to do away with browsers and opt for Youtube streaming software that guarantees seamless viewing with no glitches.
You can switch to Opera and try and play your video. If the video plays the sound without any problems, it’s likely your previous browser had an internal issue. Besides, you can import saved passwords, bookmarks, and documents stored in Chrome with a single click.
We recommend using the Opera browser as an alternative workaround when Chrome is giving you trouble on Youtube. Furthermore, a plethora of Opera add-ons can improve your YouTube experience when you want to view or download ultra HD videos.
Why is my volume so low on YouTube?
Some of the reasons why your Youtube volume is extremely low include:
- PC is set to low volume – The first thing you should check is the volume on your computer itself. It’s easy to forget that the volume on a computer can be turned down, so make sure it’s not accidentally muted.
- Your speakers are old and/or broken – Some laptops, especially older ones, may not have the best sound cards. If your Youtube volume is too low on Windows 10, try updating to Windows 11 and see if there are any changes.
- Background programs interference – If you’re playing a YouTube video in the background while you do something else with your computer, your volume may be low. Oftentimes, programs such as browsers will play a sound when they open or close a tab. These sounds can end up overwhelming the volume of YouTube videos if you have many tabs open at once.
- The video was uploaded at a low volume – If your YouTube video is playing at a very low volume, it’s probably because the video was uploaded with a low bitrate. This is not a good practice because videos in this format will have very little dynamic range and not enough audio information to reproduce sound accurately. Luckily, you can install a Chrome volume booster extension to amplify your sound.
If any of the above is the cause for the low volume, you can proceed to resolve the issue using one of our recommended fixes below.
How do you fix the volume on YouTube?
1. Adjust the volume mixer
- Right-click on the sound icon on the Taskbar and select Open Volume Mixer.
- Increase the volume for the Chrome browser and sound device Youtube is playing on.
2. Reset sound settings to default
- Press the Windows + I keys simultaneously to open Settings.
- Select System and navigate to Sounds.
- Navigate to the Volume mixer under the Advanced section.
- Hit the Reset button next to Reset sound devices and volumes for all apps for to the recommended defaults.
3. Disable audio enhancements
- Right-click on the sound icon on the Taskbar and select Sounds.
- Navigate to the Playback tab and select Properties.
- Click on the Advanced tab, uncheck the Enable audio enhancements box and click OK.
These fixes can apply if your Youtube volume is low on Mac too.
How do I increase the volume on YouTube on Chrome?
If you’re using the Chrome browser to play Youtube videos, you can increase the volume by using keyboard shortcuts. You can press F10 and adjust accordingly. You can also use the sound icon and drag the volume to a level you are comfortable with.
Alternatively, you can also install one of the best Volume booster apps for Windows 10 if you consistently face sound issues on your PC.
Let us know of any other solutions that worked for you if you were facing the same issue.